today we went to waugh and thistleton’s office at shoreditch to chat about their murray grove project they have done in hackey. it is a 9 story residential building made of solid timber panels by KLH. an chance to pick their brain was definitely helpful.
(image from http://www.waughthistleton.com)
minutes of meeting:
– biology of the house is important, similar to a human body. cant just take something and scale it up and expect same properties to occur.
– think they can build definitely 15-25 stories with solid timber
– the weight is not the issue
– slab + wall system with anchore brackets
– compression of the panel is not good when laid flat
– need to speak with matt liniquer from technika, he was tedchnical guy on the case.
– cant just have linear stacking with tower idea
-needs to have broading basing
– MG is a honey comb technique where every part is important
– if you go higher you need to think of stacking system
– as for height, need to think about the weight at the bottom, usage of material at the bottom as suistanability is an issue
– in MG concrete makes up the ground floor to provide stability and mostly to provide open spaces that timber cannot provide.
– solid panelling is good for small spaces
-beams could be used for entering /exiting or open spaces
– is it possible to emmulate steel with glulam beams?
– cross lam engineered has extremem stability compared to steel/concrete
– timber lifts are possible tot his level
– warmer working atmosphere for workers
– can carry just a screwdriver instead of huge machines/tools which helped the work environment (workers didnt mind working late etc)
– MG is 9 stories due to planning and not a technical issue
– cant tell when walk in by appearance but can ‘feel’ the difference
– FIRE: top layer of soolid panels can become charred and provided protection, so for fire reasons the wall are 150mm so that 25 each side can be charred. 90 minutes.
– since unprecedented the wallas still had to be plasterboarded in .
-since all computer generated each panel can be detailed extremely for sockets/cabling etc
– now working on project FORE STREET in edmonton, planning to be 40 stories.
– going to publish a book: cost checks of this project as if made in steel and concrete etc.
– barely any waste
– very tight site plan so made construction an issue, but with panels no problem.
– 4 big austrians dudes built the whole buidling. one floor in 3 days. (tues morning- thurs night) 1 week = floor
– at end recited poem at top
– life span is certified for 60 years, but is definitely at least 100years.
– @ end of life it can be recycled and burnt as bio mass
-KLH patented a system which has non toxic glue to biind the panels together so no toxins when cut or burned for biomass
– can be taken down piece by piece
– KLH quality of timber is key issue, they get it from austria, good timber, scottish timber too wet
– timber frame has nothing comparable to x lam
– the tower fore street they are working on will have a concrete core, they do not want to use timber ‘ for it’s own sake’ wants to use the best mateiral for the best function
– rogers put oxley woods in a day (george wimpey)